Whether you are already familiar with Ayurveda or whether you are new to the "science of life," Ayurveda tips for a healthy lifestyle will always serve you well!
So what is Ayurveda and why are its guidelines for healthful living so effective? Ayurveda is an ancient holistic medicine practice originating from India where the Vedas, or doctors, offered guidance in areas such as diet and nutrition, mind-body balance, detoxification, yoga, exercise, herbs, and essential oils. Despite its longevity, Ayurveda is enjoying a resurgence today and being practiced and honored by modern practitioners.
The Self-Healing Body
A key premise of Ayurveda is that the universe and everything in it, including the human body, are governed by laws of natural intelligence. These laws are designed to keep everything running perfectly. In other words, the body's natural state is one of perfect health. It was created with the ability to self-regulate and self-heal and is always striving to maintain ideal homeostatic balance.
However, the lifestyle choices we make (what we eat, how we exercise, our stress levels, our sleep patterns, our relationships, and more) can upset the mind-body balance, which can in turn weaken the immune system and create disease.
Ayurveda: Your Health is in Your Hands
The good news, according to the Vedas, is that the state of our personal health is in our own hands! Everything we do either keeps us in balance or causes imbalance. Moreover, each of us enters this world with a one-of-a-kind constitution (a.k.a. body type or dosha) that favors or rejects elements in the natural world. Since we are all one-of-a-kind, any prescription for health must be tailored towards us and our specific body type. Once we learn what we need to be at our personal best, we are well on our way to living happy, fulfilling lives.
Ayurveda Eating Tips
Ayurveda experts have provided lifestyle guidelines for daily living. Some their top diet tips include:
- Take the Dosha Quiz to determine your dominant dosha (Vata, Pitta, or Kapha)
- Select the right diet for your body type
- Make lunch your main meal, but eat three meals a day at regular times (your body thrives on routine!)
- Eat calmly and slowly, consuming just enough to keep you going until the next meal (i.e. until you are 3/4 full)
- Sip water with meals instead of cold beverages
- Relax or go for a walk after meals
- Eat your last meal about three hours before bedtime
- Choose cooked foods over raw foods and freshly prepared foods over leftovers
- Eat with pleasant company in amiable surroundings
- Delay eating if you are angry or upset
- Learn which food combinations favor or aggravate your dosha
Ayurveda Exercise Tips
Customize your exercise routine to suit your body type
- Exercising in accordance with your dosha yields maximum results with less effort
- Practice balaardh, using only half your potency during workouts while gradually gaining strength
- Exercise in the early morning to energize your day
- Do not exercise right after meals or on an empty stomach
- Pay attention to your breathing and enjoy the activity you are engaging in
Ayurveda Tips for Health and Longevity
Additional lifestyle recommendations include:
- Learn about the benefits of essential oils, massage, and Ayurvedic aromatherapy and which essential oils best suit your body type
- Learn about the healing powers of herbs and spices and which ingredients Ayurveda experts recommend for you to achieve greater mind-body balance
- Incorporate the daily practice of yoga in combination with Ayurveda to offer your body the maximum benefits and enjoy greater inner peace and serenity
- Did you know that colors, gems, and mantras can enrich your daily experience? Find out which match your dosha and how you can use Aryuvedic techniques to achieve a happier and healthier lifestyle
Incorporate these Ayurveda practices into your daily life and enjoy the great vibes, positive energy, and increased physical, emotional, and mental balance you will experience!
Subscribe to Yoganosh
Get the latest posts delivered right to your inbox